Monday, March 09, 2009

RIP:TAKI...your kindness and miso live on


Whenever I have a client just getting a cold or on the brink of the flu I tell them to head to Taki's on the corner of Colfax and Logan for some of his famous Miso soup. Taki's miso soup is THE best and is so inexpensive. I was first introduced to Taki's by my husband who lived in capitol hill when we first started dating.. oh so many years ago. From the outside, I questioned his choice in dining but I was a starving student at the time and Taki's was...and is...cheap....(and good!). I remember I was coming down with a cold and right away this kind man came out from the back and handed me some edamame for free as well as some lemon tea with a piece of fresh cut ginger in it. I think the worn tissue and red eyes were a dead giveaway that I was not feeling too great. Then came the soup I had heard so much about. This giant bowl of great brothed miso soup with fresh cut vegetables and tofu. From then on, I was hooked. And I have been sending people there as often as I can, for the cuisine, and for a glimpse of kindness from this great little man...Mr. Taki.
I was disheartened to hear he had passed away last month of natural causes. Here is the denver post's tribute to Taki...it is very touching. I can just hope his restaurant stays open and that his kindness spreads. We need more of that now in times like these than ever before.

No comments: