Thursday, October 01, 2009

Tis the Season....to spread the germs


Flu and cold season is here. There is a lot of fear with the new 'Swine Flu', or H1N1 virus, so I included this link to hopefully help answer any immediate questions about it. I have already seen it in my clinic and was shocked to find out that my client got it from a classmate who came to school sick for a week before finally getting diagnosed because she didn't want to ruin her perfect attendance at school. Remembering to wash hands and cough into your sleeve are still the best precautions we can take. And parents, if your child is sick, or if you are sick...please stay home and rest. Perfect attendance is not that important!


People often ask me to come up with a list of at home staples they can keep on hand for this season. To keep it simple, here are some things you could have and take.

Vitamin D at 2,000i.u's per day is great in the fall...and actually all year round. There are so many things Vit. D does and we need more of it as we get less sun. But it can help prevent the flu. 2,000 i.u's is an adult dose. Plus it is very inexpensive!! We like that!

Good old fashioned Vit. C. is a good immune booster. Ester C is less harsh on the stomach lining. They even have some good tasting wafers out there. Taking more as you feel a cold coming on can help, and if you take a multivitamin I am sure there is some in there already, so adding on to that when you feel that tickle in the throat or a runny nose is a good idea.
If you are a client in my clinic you know I love probiotics. So if you are a heathcare worker or a teacher, tis the season to up the dosage to even 16 billion live cells. 8 billion is the one I have by Pharmax in my clinic called HLC hi potency. This is a broad spectrum one. I think it is one of the best. No, you cannot get enough from eating yogurt. Sorry Jamie Lee Curtis.

If you get a cough, I adore Nectadyn cough syrup. This is not for kids under 2 because the base is a honey base. It is also not available at stores just sold to clinicians. So you can get it from your practitioner.. if they like it as much as I do. But this stuff works well, tastes great and is homeopathic. Works on all kinds of coughs...dry, wet, etc...which is great, since often the type of cough can change within a cold.

Also homeopathicwise, I find MHP's Viral Immune and Bacterial Immune work well preventatively and in the midst of an attack. Also not available in stores but licensed practitioners who carry MHP will have these during cold/flu season defintitely! Plus they are a local company...love that. They also carry an amazing elderberry lozenge that is is a great immune booster and tastes good too. Releases into the system right away.

Beyond that, there are many nasal sprays that I carry that are great but I will tell you of one product you can get at Walgreens that I think it wonderful. Neil-Med Sinus Rinse. I rarely endorse things, but this product I do. It is very simply Sodium chloride and Sodium bicarbonate packets you put in distilled lukewarm water in a patented (I'm sure) designed plastic bottle. It's more simple than a Neti pot and works well to open stubborn nasal passages. I have found it to work for people who did not have success with other things. They even have a pediatric kit...but getting a child younger than 6 years old to do this...well...sometimes a metered dose nasal spray is a lot easier.

Treatmentwise, of course, nothing beats cupping for getting that crud out of the lungs if you do get sick. Or to practice preventative medicine, acupuncture is wonderful for helping to boost the immune system this time of year.
Now that's the kind of healthcare no one can argue about.

No comments: